The phenomenal growth of mobile devices has opened up avenues for organizations to integrate them into the mainstream computing environment. Today’s mobile applications deliver complex functionality on platforms that have limited resources for computing. Yet, unlike the PC-based environment, the mobile environment comprises a plethora of devices with diverse hardware and software configurations and communication intricacies. This diversity in mobile computing environments presents unique challenges in application development, quality assurance, and deployment, requiring unique testing strategies.
There are a lot of distinctive challenges in mobile testing:
- First of all, we need to test our mobile application or website on various types of mobile devices, such as Blackberry, iPhone, iPad, Android phone, etc. They are from different providers, with different models and different user interfaces.
- Secondly, we need to integrate with our QA facilities and support testing on both internal and external mobile applications.
- Finally, not only do we need to perform functionality testing, but also we need to conduct User Experience Testing, performance testing, etc.
Traditionally, we had two choices for mobile testing. One is manual testing on real devices, and another is testing on emulators. Yet neither of the two solutions can solve these problems well. For example, manual testing on all types of real devices is very time-consuming, so it is not repeatable from a practical standpoint. Emulators support part of testing automation, yet this is not a good solution for User Experience Testing or performance testing.
DeviceAnywhere provides the industry’s only enterprise-class platform for testing and monitoring the usability, performance and availability of mobile apps via hardware-based appliances wired into a standard mobile device with no software installed on the device. It allows remote access to a mobile device for manual or automated testing via its hardware-software mixed solution:
Devices are put in DeviceAnywhere’s data center, and all the components, such as LCD, keyboard, touch screens, camera, speaker and battery are connected to PC servers with some special hardware. By using an innovative device interaction technology called Direct-To-Device, it builds a software abstraction layer on top of these real devices.
Using DeviceAnywhere Studio client we can remotely access any real devices and perform almost any actions just like we have the device in our hands. They look like emulators, yet they are all real devices.
These are some key benefits of the DeviceAnywhere solution:
- Hardware-based solution does not affect the operation of the device in any way. Management software provides convenient device access. Provides the ability to test mobile applications and infrastructure with physical mobile devices and cellular carrier network connectivity.
- There is no limitation on testing applications. We can create executable test scripts that remotely press device buttons, install software, reboot the device, connect/disconnect batteries, open/close flip phones, or operate any hardware control available on the device.
- DeviceAnywhere provides web-based reporting interface and not only allows you to view test results, but also records all test steps screen-by-screen. Therefore, you can review and analyze test results at a later time, as well as share the findings with colleagues.
- It supports some graphical workflow, allowing testers to easily create an automation script. And it also supports complex data-driven testing by using Java language or through integration with QTP.
- Solution supports a wide range of mobile devices including recent RIM Blackberry devices, Apple iPhone, and iPad.
- Supports automated regression testing of all supported devices including firmware updates and installed applications.
- Provides the ability to remotely access a mobile device for manual testing, or GUI-driven scripting. Image library allows some script reuse. Java API and QuickTestPro plug in allow more advanced data-driven scripting.
For more information about this technology please visit www.deviceanywhere.com